Stabbing at Black Notley

Essex Weekly News - Friday 19 January 1906

Essex Weekly News - Friday 19 January 1906



At Braintree on Saturday, before Mr. P. V. Hawkes. Fred. Taylor, a laborer, of Baker's Lane, Black Notley, was charged with maliciously wounding Arthur Canning, laborer, aged 30, of Black Notley.

Frank George Willis, a blacksmith, stated that he lived opposite the Green Dragon, London-road. On Friday night, about ten o'clock, he heard a noise and went up the road. About 100 yards on the Braintree side of the Green Dragon he saw the prisoner lying on his back and Arthur Canning hold-ing his wrists. Prisoner had an open clasp knife in his right hand.
Witness took the knife away from prisoner and flung it over a hedge into a garden. Canning was bleeding very much in face and leg, and was very faint. Witness got him to his lodgings and afterwards drove him to Dr. Harrison's surgery at Braintree.

In reply to questions witness said he saw the two men in the Green Dragon just before 10 p.m. They were both sober. He did not know what they were quarrelling about.He found the knife, produced, the next morning where he had thrown it.

P.S. Rennett said he was on duty in Bank-street, Braintree, when Canning was brought in by the last witness. Canning was covered with blood; his nose and lip were cut, and the wounds were gaping open. He had a wound in the left thigh. The trousers produced, which Canning was wearing, were cut through and were saturated with blood. Witness the same night went to prisoners, father's house, and found prisoner asleep on a seat in the outhouse. Witness woke him up and told him he would be charged with wounding Arthur Canning.Prisoner, who was covered with blood, said, "He owes me a shilling, and he would not give it to me. He knocked me down several times. I never had a knife, and didn't use one." wItness had seen Canning that morning. He was in bed and too ill to attend the Court. Witness had received the knife, produced, from Willis, and had shown it to prisoner, who said, "I have never seen it before."

Prisoner was remanded in custody to the Braintree Petty Session on Wednesday, when the prosecutor was able to attend.

Prosecutor said he worked for Me and oro o the creen Dragon. On Friday night prisoner came into the house and made a bet with another man named Ellis as to where a certain asylum stood. The stakes were ls. each, and witness held them. Ellis won the bet, but refused to take the stakes. Witness said he should keep the money and Ellis agreed. Prisoner asked for his shilling back and witness should not give it him. When he left the house to go home prisoner followed him and again asked him for the shilling. witness replied, "You will not get any money off me." Prisoner then struck him in the face with a knife, and witness knocked him down and fell on him. Whilst on the ground prisoner stabbed him in the thigh. Witness called to Willis, who came to his assistance and took the knife away from prisoner.

George Ellis, laborer, corroborated.

Mr. J. Harrison, surgeon, Braintree, described the wounds the prosecutor had received. In reply to the Clerk witness said the only serious danger from the wounds the possibility of lockjaw. The man was now progressing favorably.

Prisoner, who had nothing to say, was committed for trial at the Assize.