Unlicensed Guns

Suffolk and Essex Free Press - Wednesday 19 September 1894

Wednesday 19th September 1894

Halstead Petty Sessions, Sept. 18.

(Before J. R.Vaizey, Esq., Chairman, C. W. Start, Esq., G. Courtauld, R. Hunt, and L. Hornor, Esqrs.)


G. Sycamore was charged with using a gun without a license.

Defendant pleaded guilty, and being ignorant of the law.

P.c. H. Barrow said he saw defendant about quarter to six p.m. on the 8th of August sitting by the side of the road in Head Street. He fired off a pistol (produced). He asked him what he was firing, he handed him the pistol, he found powder and caps on him.

The supervisor, Mr. T. Sergeant, said he did now wish to press the case and asked for a license and costs.

Defendant refused to pay and a warrant for distress was applied for.

John Rippingale, labourer, Wickham St. Pauls, was charged with carrying a gun without a license.

Mr. J. W. Thornber, supervisor of excise, Sudbury, prosecuted.

Defendant pleaded not guilty.

P.c. F. Halstead said he was stationed at Wickham St. Pauls. On July 17 last about 3.40 a.m. he saw defendant walking along the road near Grove Wood carrying a gun, he was about 70 yards off. He did not see him use the gun.

Mr. Courtauld asked whether it was against the law for him to send a gun down into Halsetad to have it mended.

The Supervisor: Yes, the gunsmith could send for it, bit it could not be sent unless the master had a game license. Mr. Courtauld expressed his surprise that that was the case.

Defendant to P.c. Halstead: Did you not tell George Bull you had since heard it was his brother?  -Yes, but he had no doubt but it was him (the defendant).

In defence, Frederick Bull said he lived at Wickham St. Paul's. On July 17, he went into a pea field at Nether House Farm, about 25 minutes past 3, and defendant and his son came in about half-past 3, and they were there when he left at five o'clock.

Cross-examined: He was positive it was on a Tuesday morning.

P.c. Halstead, recalled, said it was about two minutes walk from the pea field.

B. Warren, labourer, Wickham St. Paul's, said on July 17, h went into the pea field at five minutes to four, he saw Rippingale and his son in the field, they had been there some time as they had pulled a large heap of bines. The Bench decided to believe the policeman's evidence, and convicted and fined him £1, costs 16s. 6d.