Police Station Information

Newport - Saffron Walden was opened in and closed in

Built in 1782, 'The Links' in Belmont Hill, Newport, served as a House of Correction until 31st August 1841 when, owing to the expansion of Chelmsford Gaol, it was considered surplus to requirements.

As a result, 'The Links' was acquired by Essex County Constabulary for use as a police station, an alternative to the Town Hall, which was at that time in use as the headquarters of the separate and earlier established Saffron Walden Borough force.

The 'Keeper' of the House of Correction, John Mead, petitioned the County authority for a pension when his post became redundant.


The building's current function is: Residential
The Links c1910
Image credit: The Links c1910
The Links Newport (Graham White 2023)
Image credit: The Links Newport (Graham White 2023)

51.986862364609, 0.21411536327629